Re: on the verge of shopping for new desktop hardware, recommendations?

The Wanderer wrote:
> Any power-related advice for SSDs?
>
> In the system I'm planning to build, I'm expecting to have something
> along the lines of two M.2 SSDs (RAID-1), presumably in the NVMe 2280
> form factor you specify, and eight or more SATA SSDs in a 2.5" form
> factor (RAID-6), along with a discrete GPU, probably a discrete sound
> card, a collection of fans, and of course whatever the motherboard and
> case may need (not excluding USB ports and the devices attached to
> them).

You can look up maximum power draw for every major component.

For example:

An AMD Ryzen CPU draws between 65W - for a low-end desktop
processor like the 3400G - and 105W - for the top end of desktop
CPUs.

A low-end external GPU can draw 40W, and a high-end 300W.

The motherboard itself will rarely draw 30W.

The most efficient SSDs consume 2W apiece at max load, and the
least efficient can use 5W apiece.

So: a desktop system might have:
105W    high-end CPU
140W    mid-range GPU
 20W    motherboard
 40W    10 not-so-efficient SSDs
----
305W

suggests that you want to buy a 350-500W power supply from a
reputable manufacturer -- I especially like Seasonic, Antec and
EVGA, but there are lots of high-quality brands.

If you have a 65W CPU, a 40W GPU, and 1 SSD and 1 spinning disk
(14W max), a 185-250W power supply is a good idea.

Below 185W, there are DC-DC power supplies for low-power systems
that use external AC-DC bricks like laptops (frequently exactly
the same as higher-end laptops) which are efficient, cool and
quiet.

-dsr-