Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems

On 3/5/21 4:09 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/04/2021 04:46 PM, David Christensen wrote:

2. I _actively_ abhor activating *any* WiFi device. [long OT story]

My system currently has [from image of DVD1]:
   1. Debian 10.0 with minimum default configuration of MATE.

That is a security risk. Update it. If you succeed, then you do not need to install 10.8.

   2. Debian 9.13 with MATE with lots of extras.
Neither has any non-free drivers and both connect readily to internet.

How does your computer connect to the Internet?

Attempting to install Debian 10.8.0 from image of netinst.iso downloaded after following default link from Debian homepage.

Ignore the giant "Download" button on the Debian home page and go to this page:

    https://www.debian.org/CD/

ignore this message:

    "If you simply want to install Debian and have an Internet
    connection on the target computer please consider the Network
    Install media which is a smaller download."

Download a complete installer.  I use this:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/jigdo-cd/debian-10.8.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.jigdo

The apparent failure point is on the screen offering automatic configuration using DHCP.

You need to load the Wi-Fi packages and get your Wi-Fi interface working before that point.

Are you following the instructions?

    https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch02s02.en.html

    https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04.en.html

Have you tried "Expert Mode"?

With a complete installer, if you can install the Wi-Fi packages during installation, fine. If not, do the installation and figure out the Wi-Fi later.

David