Re: PARTIAL DIAGNOSIS of Installation problems

On 03/04/2021 04:46 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 3/4/21 4:27 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

What I do now is make yet another attempt to convey my problem.

My universe consists of:
   1. myself.
   2. a laptop onto which I wish to install Debian using a netinst.iso .
   3. an Alcatel Linkzone sold me by T-Mobile, my ISP.
      T-Mobile erroneously ASSUMES that *all*customers will use it as a
      WiFi Hotspot to create a LAN of up to 15 devices.
      I, however, disable the WiFi as that function has *NO* value to me.
   4. Debian, absent *ANY* non-free drivers, which is slightly schizoid
      in that:
      a. it will happily connect to internet if it was installed from an
         image of DVD1.
      b. its installer which assumes one has *exactly* 2 ways to connect
            WiFi
            "ethernet" N.B. the quotes and use of lower case
   5. the internet which has all the privacy of a party-linefrom over
      three score and ten in the past.

I will assume you have this device:

https://www.alcatelmobile.com/product/mobile-broadband/mobile-wifi/linkzone-cat4-mobile-wi-fi/#spec

That looks like what I have.

I will assume your laptop has a Wi-Fi adapter.

It does. {With two BUTS ;}
1. I don't know if it id defective or not.
2. I _actively_ abhor activating *any* WiFi device. [long OT story]

Identify which Debian package(s) are required for your Wi-Fi adapter (firmware, utilities, whatever).  Download the packages and put them on a USB flash drive.

Boot the Debian installer.  Insert the USB flash drive with the Wi-Fi packages when needed.  Install the Wi-Fi packages.  Proceed with the Debian installation.

That would be a "workaround" but not a diagnosis/solution.
I'm working with a multi-boot system to make all environments as consistent as possible.

My system currently has [from image of DVD1]:
  1. Debian 10.0 with minimum default configuration of MATE.
  2. Debian 9.13 with MATE with lots of extras.
Neither has any non-free drivers and both connect readily to internet.

Attempting to install Debian 10.8.0 from image of netinst.iso downloaded after following default link from Debian homepage. The apparent failure point is on the screen offering automatic configuration using DHCP.