Re: The best way to install inkscape 1.0 on Debian stable

On Friday 05 March 2021 10:52:11 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> Gene Heskett (gheskett@shentel.net) wrote:
> > On Friday 05 March 2021 03:08:00 Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> > > They provide appimage, just download and run it.
> >
> > Which works, but I just now looked at .profile, and found that when
> > I looked at my $PATH, AppImage was not being added. I had several
> > months ago, created a $HOME/AppImages directory to store them in.
>
> When using upstream software, it's your responsibility to configure
> your shell the way you need, or to set up symlinks.
>
> I don't know anything about inkscape or AppImage, but let's say you've
> installed this inkscape thing under /opt/inkscape.  Let's also say it
> has exactly one user-invokable program, /opt/inkscape/bin/inkscape,
> and that you would like to be able to run it by typing "inkscape" in
> your shell.
>
> In that (extremely common) situation, you have two ways to proceed:
>
> 1) Adjust your dot files so that /opt/inkscape/bin is added to your
> PATH environment variable.
>
> 2) Create a symbolic link from /usr/local/bin/inkscape to
>    /opt/inkscape/bin/inkscape.
>
> Number 1 can be done without root privileges, but is *so* freaking
> hard to explain to people because of all the utterly batshit insane
> ways that people can login nowadays.  There is no way to give
> instructions that will work for every Debian user.
>
> Number 2 is simpler, and will make the program available to all users
> on the system, but requires root privileges to enact.
>
> If this $HOME/AppImages thing is like a personal /opt directory, then
> choice number 2 for this situation would be to make the symlink from
> $HOME/bin to $HOME/AppImages/whatever/inkscape.  This presumes that
> you've already managed to configure your login so that $HOME/bin is
> in your shell's PATH.  This is the default for Debian console logins
> (due to /etc/skel/.profile), but may not be the case for various
> Display Manager logins.

As you so eloquently say, batshit ways. I'll argue that mine is in that
list since you didn't find fault with it. :)

In my case, tde.login, and I am user 1000. I do have other users in the
home dir, but they are sandboxes, or jails to build nut or amanda in,
however you want to classify them.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis