Re: SOLVED - Re: Deb10 installer can't install grub

On 3/3/2021 6:30 AM, Dave Sherohman wrote:

Based on this, I'm guessing that the original problem was that the
installer forgot to include mdadm support in its grub options, even
though it was configured with an mdadm boot device.  And then I missed a
couple steps after adding mdadm support, so it didn't all get installed
to the EFI partitions correctly.

One potential gotcha. When you boot from an mdadm file system containing /boot/grub, grub will not write to the file system. In particular, it will not update grub/grubenv even if you have a save_env line in grub.cfg. So if you use grub-reboot to specify an alternate line in grub.cfg, you need to reset grubenv afterwards. I do this in a root @reboot cron job.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably don't need to worry about this.