Re: Problem converting manual in PDF to HTML for on screen viewing

On 03/01/2021 06:58 AM, Celejar wrote:
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 04:44:56 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

A program I wish to use distributes its manual as a PDF file.
Due to vision problems I wish to convert it to HTML for onscreen viewing.

pdf2htmlEX is an inappropriate tool as it is too focused on maintaining
format of original. Its rigidity results in a fixed number of
*characters* per line irregardless of chosen font size. As there is
nothing formatted as a table, this restriction is inappropriate.

The only relevant links in the document are from the "Table of Contents"
to the appropriate section. pdf2htmlEX *IGNORES* them!

A suggested tool?

You can try pdftohtml, in poppler-utils. I don't know whether it will
suffer from the same problem you have with pdf2htmlEX

I had initially ignored it as the man page starts with:
This manual page documents briefly the pdftohtml command. This manual page was
written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does
not have a manual page.

When it says "brief" it meant "options will be only *listed*"!

I just tried it and it apparently suffers same end result.
If someone knows of some functional documentation for it, I'll try again.