Re: rsync to NAS for backup

On 2021-02-18 10:57, mick crane wrote:
On 2021-02-15 12:39, mick crane wrote:
On 2021-02-13 01:27, mick crane wrote:
I made a mistake and instead of getting a PC for backup I got a NAS.
I'm struggling to get to grips with it.
If rsync from PC to NAS NAS changes the owner/group of files to me/users which is probably no good for backing up.
There's that problem then another that it won't let me login as root.
I asked on Synology forum but not getting a lot of joy.
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/141137
Anybody used these things can advise ?

What is the model of the Synology NAS?  What options -- CPU, memory,
disks, bays, interfaces, PSU, whatever?  Support page URL?

Reading the forum post, it sounds like you damaged the sudoers file.
The fix would appear to be doing a Mode 2 reset per Synology's
instructions:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_reset_my_Synology_NAS

Once the NAS has been reset, figure out how to meet your needs within
the framework provided by Synology.  Follow the User Guide. Follow
the Admin Guide.  Do not mess around "under the hood" with a terminal
and sudo.  Make Synology earn your money.

But if you want complete control, buy or build an x86_64/amd64 server,
install Debian, and have at it.

thanks for advices folks.
It was indeed user error with being in a rush and blurred eyesight
mistook "%" for "#"
We are making progress.
Appears that to retain permissions need root at both ends of rsync.
Have keys working with ssh for users to NAS ( not helped by default
permissions for .ssh files being wrong) and can su to root so now need
to get ssh working with keys with no passphrase for root and all
should be good.

further to this if it helps anybody can start sshd with -d switch and at same time do client with -vv switch then can see where is falling down. Having telnet available helps if break sshd_config can still telnet and mend it.
mick

rsync is a quick & dirty backup tactic but it's got limitations.

1) files may stay around forever in the backup even if you've deleted them from your main computer because you don't need them.

2) you only have one copy of a file and that only lasts until the next rsync. This limits your ability to restore from a backup before it is overwritten.

Using a real backup program, which can run on you main computer to backup to the NAS, lets you define a retention policy so files no longer needed can be purged while you have multiple backups of files you are currently working on.

rsync is not a good substitute for backups.