Re: rsync to NAS for backup

On 2021-02-13 01:27, mick crane wrote:
I made a mistake and instead of getting a PC for backup I got a NAS.
I'm struggling to get to grips with it.
If rsync from PC to NAS NAS changes the owner/group of files to me/users which is probably no good for backing up.
There's that problem then another that it won't let me login as root.
I asked on Synology forum but not getting a lot of joy.
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/141137
Anybody used these things can advise ?

What is the model of the Synology NAS? What options -- CPU, memory, disks, bays, interfaces, PSU, whatever? Support page URL?

Reading the forum post, it sounds like you damaged the sudoers file. The fix would appear to be doing a Mode 2 reset per Synology's instructions:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_reset_my_Synology_NAS

Once the NAS has been reset, figure out how to meet your needs within the framework provided by Synology. Follow the User Guide. Follow the Admin Guide. Do not mess around "under the hood" with a terminal and sudo. Make Synology earn your money.

But if you want complete control, buy or build an x86_64/amd64 server, install Debian, and have at it.

David