Re: networking.service fails

On 2021-02-17 08:28, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On 2021-02-16 19:44, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
Dear Debian community,

I am puzzled with the following problem. When my Debian 10.8 starts, the unit "networking.service" is
marked as failed with the following reason:

root@debian:~ # systemctl status networking.service
*— networking.service - Raise network interfaces
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-02-16 08:56:16 CET; 5h 27min ago
       Docs: man:interfaces(5)
    Process: 691 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 691 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Debian/Busteris still using Network Manager not systemd to control the
network so I think the network.service shouldn't be used.
Well, systemd as init is starting everything so that necessarily
includes starting "the network", which in practice means starting
whatever network management framework is in use[1].

The 'networking.service' service is part of ifupdown, Debian's default
network management framework (Priority: important).

Network Manager is Priority: optional and typically installed as a
Depends/Recommends of Desktop Environments.

[1] this is applicable even for systemd's own network management
framework systemd-networkd, which is included in the 'systemd' Debian
package, but not activated by default.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Sorry, it was midnight when I replied. However the failure is likely still due to the interfaces misconfiguration - probably reporting a failure to raise a non-existent interface.