Re: FileZilla / ftp / GnuTLS error connecting to sites with Testing/Bullseye

On Tue, 2021-02-16 at 16:45 -0500, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 2021-02-13 03:02, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Vi, 12 feb 21, 17:00:41, Gary Dale wrote:
> > > Which is why I think it would be useful to have way to rollback a
> > > package
> > > when you can't fix it quickly. That way you aren't asking all the
> > > users to
> > > do it themselves and track the bug status individually. When the
> > > maintainers
> > > think they have a fix, it can go through the normal process...
> > Debian doesn't support downgrading of packages.
> >
> > When dpkg installs another version of a package (typically newer)
> > it
> > basically overwrites the existing version and runs the
> > corresponding
> > package scripts from the to be installed version.
> >
> > A newer package may introduce changes that the older package
> > (scripts)
> > can't deal with. In practice it does work in many cases, except for
> > those where it doesn't. Fixing them would require a time machine ;)
> >
> > A roll-back, especially if automatic, could introduce more issues
> > than
> > it fixes.
> >
> > Someone(tm) has to determine on a case by case basis whether
> > rolling
> > back makes sense and the system administrator is in the best
> > position to
> > do so.
> >
> > In theory the package Maintainer could provide a general "hint"
> > that
> > system administrators could chose to ignore (at their own risk).
> >
> > Currently the infrastructure for this doesn't exist[1] and,
> > besides, I'd
> > rather have Maintainers focus on fixing the newer package instead.
> >

> >      Volunteer time is precious!
> >

> > [1] it would need support in the Debian archive software and APT at
> > minimum.
> >
> > Besides, there is already an arguably safer (though hackish) way to
> > achieve that by uploading a package with
> > version+really.the.old.version
> > instead.
> >
> > In this case the Maintainer can also take care to adjust the
> > package
> > scripts accordingly.
> >
> > Random example found on my system:
> >
> > $ rmadison fonts-font-awesome
> > fonts-font-awesome | 4.2.0~dfsg-1                      |
> > oldoldstable     | source, all
> > fonts-font-awesome | 4.7.0~dfsg-1                      |
> > oldstable        | source, all
> > fonts-font-awesome | 5.0.10+really4.7.0~dfsg-1         |
> > stable           | source, all
> > fonts-font-awesome | 5.0.10+really4.7.0~dfsg-4~bpo10+1 | buster-
> > backports | source, all
> > fonts-font-awesome | 5.0.10+really4.7.0~dfsg-4         |
> > testing          | source, all
> > fonts-font-awesome | 5.0.10+really4.7.0~dfsg-4         |
> > unstable         | source, all
> >

> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
>
> I hear you, but the issue is that if I revert to a previous version,
> [...]

Hi,

What appears to be the fixed version is in sid (3.7.0-7). It has to
pass in sid for 10 days before migration to testing, see below link.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnutls28

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/g/gnutls28/gnutls28_3.7.0-7_changelog

My testing with filezilla, shows all to be working once more, though
testing has been limited.

Regards

Phil

--
*** Playing the game for the games own sake. ***

WWW: https://kathenas.org

Twitter: @kathenasorg

IRC: kathenas

GPG: 724AA9B52F024C8B