Re: FileZilla / ftp / GnuTLS error connecting to sites with Testing/Bullseye

On 2021-02-12 16:10, songbird wrote:
Gary Dale wrote:
I appreciate the people doing this, but this is a serious issue. I have
to resort to firing up a VM or resorting to the command line on my local
server to update my web sites because I can't do it from Testing. I see
it also impacts other programs that I (fortunately) don't use as much.
   i know it is frustrating to hit something like this when you
are trying to just get a website updated.  all i can say is that
if you are running testing you are taking this sort of happening
as a risk and if you do not want that risk then you should step
back to stable instead.  especially if you are doing this for
something that might be time critical or a production issue.

   i keep a stable partition for this reason and while i rarely
have needed it in the past this year i've had to use it twice.
once for the FileZilla issue as you are facing and another for
a program which hasn't been converted to python3 yet (and for
all i know it may not ever be).

I keep a VM for the same reason - I set it up several years ago after a Ghostscript issue caused a lot of pain for me in both Stable and Testing. I set the VM up for what was then OldStable as a workaround. I also have a laptop running Stable. In 20 years of running Debian, I've only encountered 2 issues that weren't fixed fairly quickly.

However, it's all a little clumsy. My main workstation is set up the way I like and I'm familiar with using it. The other options I rarely have to use.  I often find it easier to ssh to my (stable) server and use the command line for file transfers.

When faced with a major bug, shouldn't there be a procedure to pull back
the testing version - like restoring the previous version with a
bumped-up version number while working on the known buggy version in
experimental (no need to punish people using SID)?
   it didn't affect enough people for it to be noticed before
the affected packages went from sid to testing.  that's the
problem when you get particular older packages that only a
few people use once in a while.  it would have been nice to
have caught it in sid before testing, but, well...

Which is why I think it would be useful to have way to rollback a package when you can't fix it quickly. That way you aren't asking all the users to do it themselves and track the bug status individually. When the maintainers think they have a fix, it can go through the normal process...

I don't mind testing things and reporting issues, but I also don't like having my workflow disrupted for an extended period.

I admit I don't know what issues were behind the rollout of the current "testing" version of GnuTLS but it breaks a lot of programs, including (apparently) wget.