Re: FileZilla / ftp / GnuTLS error connecting to sites with Testing/Bullseye

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Debian doesn't support downgrading of packages.
>
> When dpkg installs another version of a package (typically newer) it=20
> basically overwrites the existing version and runs the corresponding=20
> package scripts from the to be installed version.
>
> A newer package may introduce changes that the older package (scripts)=20
> can't deal with. In practice it does work in many cases, except for=20
> those where it doesn't. Fixing them would require a time machine ;)
>
> A roll-back, especially if automatic, could introduce more issues than=20
> it fixes.
>
> Someone(tm) has to determine on a case by case basis whether rolling=20
> back makes sense and the system administrator is in the best position to=20
> do so.
>
> In theory the package Maintainer could provide a general "hint" that=20
> system administrators could chose to ignore (at their own risk).
>
> Currently the infrastructure for this doesn't exist[1] and, besides, I'd=20
> rather have Maintainers focus on fixing the newer package instead.
>

>     Volunteer time is precious!
>

> [1] it would need support in the Debian archive software and APT at a=20
> minimum.
>
> Besides, there is already an arguably safer (though hackish) way to=20
> achieve that by uploading a package with version+really.the.old.version=20
> instead.
>
> In this case the Maintainer can also take care to adjust the package=20
> scripts accordingly.

  at one time i was thinking that i could put my entire system
on git, and then i found out that git didn't like it if you had
subdirectories with git in them so that was as far as i got
with that idea.

  a rolling snap shot of the entire system should let you
revert changes, but somehow you would need to figure out the
differences you'd want to keep from those you didn't.  since
that can be a non-trivial task for many people that is
probably why not many people do it.

  i installed timekeeper (i think it was) to try that out and
after a few days decided that it took up too much space for
what i really wanted and needed so i went back to my previous
method (a once in a while full back up and other select backups)
and the various safer booting options (including from a USB
stick) with a stable version of Debian on them.

  songbird