[SOLVED] BIOS upgrade on an Acer laptop (was: Battery drain with poweroff)

Nicolas George (12021-02-08):
> Thanks, I never think of BIOS updates. This is the one for my exact
> model, and the title looks very promising.
>
> Now I need a way to apply it; apparently I need some way to boot
> Windows. I hope I will not need to overwrite the complete drive with the
> backup image I made.

It was actually quite easy.

Acer provides a file BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A.zip that contains a file
BIOS_V1.09.exe.

This exe is partially a standard self-extracting archive, 7z knows it,
it contains, among other things, a file BiosEc.fd.

Put the BiosEc.fd file on a USB mass storage, reboot to the setup, and
upgrade from there.

I hope it will help other people too.

Now I need to see if it fixed my problem of battery drain; I have good
hope. Thanks to everybody who pitched for help.

--
  Nicolas George