Re: Security: OpenWRT vs. Debian [Was:] Re: Linux router AP with reserved IPs on wlan0?

Celejar wrote:
> > I can be glad that OpenWRT has improved their security practices
> > and simultaneously not be interested in using it.
>
> I think we are really in basic agreement. The reason I use OpenWRT is
> that I use a residential all-in-one WAP / switch / router, which Debian
> is unsuitable for. If I ever go the separate WAP / switch / router
> route, I'll probably use Debian on the router for the reasons you
> give: good support, a system I'm familiar with, etc.

Debian works well in this situation. You just need to arrange
for enough NIC ports to meet your needs.

If you are OK buying used equipment, Intel-based gigabit NICs, 4 ports
to a PCIe slot, cost about $35 (or $70 new). If you've got a 5 year old
desktop sitting around with 2GB or more RAM and 3 available PCIe slots,
you can use it as a WAP and have nine switched/routed gigabit ports,
counting one on the motherboard.  If you only need 5 ports, you only
need 2 PCIe slots -- one for a WiFI NIC and one for the ethernet NIC.

Debian has hostapd and dnsmasq packages.

-dsr-