Re: Battery drain with poweroff

On 08.02.2021 17:26, Nicolas George wrote:
Alexander V. Makartsev (12021-02-08):
Probably something to do with USB-Charger feature.
Acer got a BIOS update 1.09 [1] that claims to fix similar issue.
I don't know what is your model exactly, so look up BIOS update for your
laptop using SNID code.

[1] https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8273?b=1
Thanks, I never think of BIOS updates. This is the one for my exact
model, and the title looks very promising.
This is usually first procedure I do for new hardware, because products nowadays are rushed to the market, so internal firmware for all kinds of devices is often poorly tested.

Now I need a way to apply it; apparently I need some way to boot
Windows. I hope I will not need to overwrite the complete drive with the
backup image I made.

Regards,

I think fastest and easiest way is to swap current disk with another (if it is available of course) and install Evaluation version of Windows 10 Enterprise. [1]
This version doesn't require a product key or activation.
Some BIOS\Firmware updates could be installed from WinPE (or WinRE) environment, but I doubt this one from Acer could run on WinPE, because it is bundled with a driver, along side with a few executable binaries and shared DLLs.

Another viable option, because you've got a drive image of preinstalled Windows 10, is to save an image of current drive and restore from the image with preinstalled Windows OS.
And after BIOS is updated, restore from the saved image with latest data.
Clunky solutions, but I think there are no other options, because apparently Acer hates GNU-Linux. :\

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀