Re: Disk problem whilst attempting to install Buster (10.7)

On 25/01/2021 17:58, Dan Ritter wrote:

>> Thanks Dan. That's useful info, but until I am able to install Debian
>> it's a little theoretical :-)
>>
>> My problem is that the installation stops at the "finding disks" step,
>> says it can't locate a driver and could I help, from a comprehensive
>> list of devices. I paraphrase the question as the m/c is now turned off.
>
> Oh. That's harder.
>
> Luckily, this exists:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Acer/Aspire%205%20A515-56
>
> and says:
>
> Driver support is much better in Bullseye than in Buster, due to
> how new the hardware is, so it may be advisable to install
> bullseye instead of buster (I have not tried this). I installed
> Buster and managed to get a functional system by installing a
> newer linux kernel and linux-firmware-nonfree from
> buster-backports, and installing firmware-iwlwifi and
> firmware-sof-signed from the bullseye repo. Do this at your own
> risk.
>
> and also:
>
> You need to disable Intel Volume Management Device Bootcamp in
> the UEFI to get the Debian installer to recognise the internal
> SSD:
>
>     Boot into Windows and disable Intel Octane Storage
> Management for the SSD
>     Disable fast startup in the power settings in the Control
> Panel
>     Set Windows to boot into safe mode temporarily, and shutdown
> the system.
>     Power on the computer, and press F2 to open the UEFI menu.
>         Goto main tab, press Ctrl+s, go to VMD Controller, and
> set it to disabled.
>         Enable F12 Boot Menu
>     Save and reboot into Windows in safe mode and restart -
> check that Windows boots successfully when safe mode is disabled
>         If a blue screen occurs on startup, go back to the UEFI
> menu and re-enable VMD Controller, boot into Windows, and try
> again.
>     Insert your installation media
>     Reboot and press F12 to open the boot menu, and boot the
> installation media
>
>     I found
> https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/607762/installing-linux-on-my-new-aspire-5-a515-55
> useful in this (note: the model and UEFI settings are slightly
> different in this forum post)
>
> {i} A wired ethernet connection is essentially required to use
> the netinst installer and install non-free firmware (if you're
> using installation media without the non-free iwlwifi drivers).
> This is because the wired connection works out of the box, but
> extra non-free drivers are needed for the wi-fi card.
>
>     You could also use another Debian computer to download the
> packages onto a USB stick, and you can manually install the
> required extra packages from it using dpkg - but using a wired
> connection is easier.

Hello Dan,  I've been using Bullseye for several months, but thought I'd
better stay with Buster as this m/c was bought for a naive friend. It
now looks as if Bullseye is the better bet so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Many thanks for your help.

Peter HB