Re: debian-user list info and guidelines: spam

On 2021-01-25 04:24, Joe wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 08:55:53 +0200 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 25 ian 21, 01:03:07, John Kaufmann wrote:
Is there an intelligent way to manage when spam control efforts
break the system they want to protect? Do the debian lists attempt
to control spam by blocking specific users, domains or ISPs?

I've never found content-based anti-spam methods to be reliable. For a
time, I tried spamassassin, but I found I was spending a lot of time
tweaking it, and a week later would need to do it again. I decided that
spammers evolve faster than I care to try to deal with.

I do segregate some emails that cannot possibly be anything other than
spam but do not reject them, and send myself a daily email listing the
very few that were rejected that were actually sent to a real user on
my domains. I do get the occasional incorrect rejection, but no more
than half a dozen a year, which I can normally put right the next day.

Thanks for that perspective and summary of your practice,
John