Re: Raid 1

On Du, 24 ian 21, 23:21:38, Linux-Fan wrote:
> mick crane writes:
>
> > On 2021-01-24 17:37, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > If you want to combine Linux RAID and ZFS on just two drives you could
> > > partition the drives (e.g. two partitions on each drive), use the first
> > > partition on each drive for Linux RAID, install Debian (others will have
> > > to confirm whether the installer supports creating RAID from partitions)
> > > and then use the other partitions for the ZFS pool.
>
> I can confirm that this works. In fact, I always thought that to be the
> "best practice" for MDADM: To use individual partitions rather than whole
> devices. OTOH for ZFS, best practice seems to be to use entire devices. I am
> not an expert on this, though :)

ZFS is actually using GPT partitions and also automatically creates a
"reserve" 8 MiB partition, just in case a replacement disk is not
exactly the same size as the other disk(s) in a VDEV.

So far I haven't found a way around it (not that I care, as I prefer to
partition manually and identify physical devices by partition label)

Kind regards,
Andrei