Re: Raid 1

On Du, 24 ian 21, 11:36:09, mick crane wrote:

> I know I'm a bit thick about these things, what I'm blocked about is where
> is the OS.
> Let's say I have one PC and 2 unpartitioned disks.
> Put one disk in PC and install Debian on it.

Ok

> Install headers and ZFS-utils.
> I put other disk in PC, PC boots from first disk.

Ok.

> "zpool create tank mirror disk1 disk2"

This will destroy all data already existing on disk1 and disk2 (though I
strongly suspect zpool will simply refuse to use disk1). Same with Linux
RAID.

Creating the RAID (Linux or ZFS) will overwrite any data already
existing on the disks / partitions used for the RAID.

If you want to have the OS on RAID it's probably easiest to let the
installer configure that for you. This implies *both* disks are
available during install (unless the installer can create a "degraded"
RAID).

Installing Debian on ZFS involves manual steps anyway, so it's basically
create the pool with just one disk, install Debian and then 'attach' the
other disk to the first one.

If you want to combine Linux RAID and ZFS on just two drives you could
partition the drives (e.g. two partitions on each drive), use the first
partition on each drive for Linux RAID, install Debian (others will have
to confirm whether the installer supports creating RAID from partitions)
and then use the other partitions for the ZFS pool.

You might want to experiment with this in a VM first. For testing
purposes you can also experiment with ZFS on files instead of real
devices / partitions (probably with Linux RAID as well).

Kind regards,
Andrei