Re: Archivemail

Mark Fletcher:

> OK deciphering the above for anyone who might follow after me:
> archivemail is dependent on Python2 which, it appears, is getting
> removed from bullseye (although as of right now it's not gone yet, it's
> installed on my system and I didn't ask for it, so something is clearly
> still dependent on it)

Thank you for pointing out that archivemail will be gone soon. Since I
am using it as well, I took a quick look at it ("how hard can it be??")
and tried a quick conversion to Python3:
https://github.com/solexx/archivemail

Luckily there is a test suite and only about two thirds of the tests are
failing, otherwise I might have thought it should work. ;-)

The main problem is that one has to replace a few modules/functions,
mostly the long-obsolete rfc822. I think I can get away with throwing
away the get_filename function completely, which was a little
problematic due to the dependencies. I guess I have only "solved" the
easy problems for now, but I still think the conversion should be
doable.

I have no idea whether or when I will be able to finish this, because I
am severly time-constrained due to the pandemic (daycare in the morning,
regular work in the afternoon until late at night). I am also aware that
it is probably too late for bullseye, but archivemail can be dropped to
~/bin/ easily.

But well, first me or somebody else has to fix those failing tests.

J.
--
If all my friends had Playstations I would buy a Nintendo to prove my
individuality.