Re: Help me setup home-office hardware with free software

Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> I don???t want any proprietary software to run on these systems. And hence
> exploring possibilities. My questions:
>
> 1. I had a look at i7 and Ryzen 7. For multi-threading applications, it
>    appears that Ryzen is better choice because it allows more number of
>    simultaneous threads. 16 as compared to 8 on i7. Does anybody have
>    experience with these? Please share your recommendation.

On a price/performance basis, it's clear that AMD beats Intel at
every price point.

You should know that both Intel and AMD ship firmware blobs for
their CPUs which are redistributable but not open source.

> 2. Are there good general purpose motherboards available for 3 graphics
>    cards? I have experience with motherboards with 12 graphics
>    cards. But those were not general purpose. They were specifically
>    designed for cryto mining purpose only.

AMD has more PCI lanes available than Intel, so motherboards can
support more slots.

MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS, at least, sell extended-ATX motherboard
with sufficient room between x16 slots to fit 3 double-width
graphics cards. You may have trouble finding a suitable case.

The AMD cards probably don't function without a firmware blob,
even with otherwise open-source drivers.

-dsr-