Re: Help me setup home-office hardware with free software

On Friday, January 22, 2021 12:06:11 AM EST Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> I am setting up one (or may be two) home-office servers. I have 6 ATI
> Radian RX580 graphics cards that are lying in cold storage. I used them
> a couple of years back to experiment with various crypto-mining
> technologies.
>
> I want these cards to be put to use for experimenting with
> multi-threading work loads like may be Machine Learning or may be Image
> Processing of deep space data or may be run GNU Radio for experimenting
> with signals.
>
> I don’t want any proprietary software to run on these systems. And hence
> exploring possibilities. My questions:
>
> 1. I had a look at i7 and Ryzen 7. For multi-threading applications, it
>    appears that Ryzen is better choice because it allows more number of
>    simultaneous threads. 16 as compared to 8 on i7. Does anybody have
>    experience with these? Please share your recommendation.
>
> 2. Are there good general purpose motherboards available for 3 graphics
>    cards? I have experience with motherboards with 12 graphics
>    cards. But those were not general purpose. They were specifically
>    designed for cryto mining purpose only.
>
> 3. I’ll also put these machine to serve local copy of all my data. I’ll
>    synchronize it with some cloud space. I need recommendations for
>    reliable hard disks. A combination of SSD/HDD to balance between
>    cost, performance and reliability will probably be best. But I really
>    don’t know much about the hardware.
>
> I already have good modular corsair 1200w power-supply. So I’ll put that
> to use.
>
> I need your help to setup a system completely free of proprietary
> software. Please do reply.

Well I can say that I have a ryzen 7 2700X in my desktop and I am very happy
with it. I don't know what question specifically I can answer for you but I
have no complaints about it.

I would look for a motherboard with components(sound, sensors, network
controllers) that are well supported in Linux.

--
Steven Mainor