Re: installing debian 10 without a cd and without usb but could use ethernet

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:58 PM Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
Le 21/01/2021 à 21:52, Erwan David a écrit :
> Le 21/01/2021 à 21:46, Brian a écrit :
>> On Thu 21 Jan 2021 at 11:08:56 -0800, Dan Hitt wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Now, Brian said that "the installer's initrd does not contain a loop
>>> module", so that would indicate that if i want to use
>>> debian-10.7.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso, i'll need to get it on the disk
>>> (presumably by just unpacking it somewhere --- prior to booting, i can loop
>>> mount it and copy it to a 'real' directory), and then modifying
>>> /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.gz to be paths that grub understands.  Or,
>>> maybe the debootstrap method Bastien suggests would be good.
>> You can manipulate debian-10.7.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso in whatever way
>> you want. It will still not be loop mounted by hd-media.
>>
>> You are heading off into the wild, blue yonder.
>>
> A possibility would be to set up a PXE server, tehre are ways to do a
> netinstall with a PXE boot (boot on the network).
>
> There surely are tutorials on the net for this.

Most obvious : https://wiki.debian.org/PXEBootInstall

Thanks Erwin for your message and the link.

The problem with pxeboot, is that i would have to get into the bios to change the boot order.  The bios does have an option for pxe boot, but i cannot reliably get into the bios: after many tries i was only able to get into it a couple of times.

So if i had a way to reliably force my way into the bios, it would be very valuable, whether for pxe boot or just anything else.

Thanks again everybody for your help.

dan