Re: sharing a network connection from debian to non-debian

On Sb, 16 ian 21, 10:28:43, Dan Hitt wrote:

> I made sure that the 'Ethernet' tab had the mac addr of the right device
> --- it's a usb/ethernet cable, and has a long name, so it would be hard to
> confuse it with enp2s0 (the connection to the 'internet-modem').
>
> In the 'IPv4 Settings' tab, the method i have selected is 'Shared to other
> computers'.  There's a text area below, marked 'Address (optional)'.
>
> In that optional area i put the ip address of my debian machine, with '24'
> for the netmask.  The ip address for my debian machine, that i want to use
> for this LAN, is consistent with what 'ip addr show' displays.  It's kind
> of unclear what to write for a gateway --- should i put in the address of
> my debian box, or the address of the internet modem (router)?  Anyhow, i
> tried them both, and neither one worked.

It's slightly unclear what address you used here, but as per your OP it
should be in your "internal" network 10.*.*.*.

The gateway must be left blank. The Debian system becomes the gateway
for the other computers. Debian's gateway is the modem and is configured
in the other connection (to the modem).

> I also tried just deleting the 'Address (optional)' section, since it says
> it is optional.  But this also had no effect.
>
> I also added an extra ip address to the usb/ethernet link on my debian
> machine, using
>        sudo ip addr add 10.X.Y.Z/24  dev enx**********
> and this becomes instantly visible to the other system.   So i think the
> other system is properly accessing my debian system.

Looks like it, indeed.

> So, thanks for any clarification anybody has to offer on the proper usage
> of nm-connection-editor.

As far as I recall (it's been a while) it was as easy as setting the
Shared... in nm-connection-editor. Network Manager should then take care
to enable forwarding in the kernel and run a DHCP/DNS caching server
(probably dnsmasq) on that interface.

How are the other boxes configured? They should either be configured
with DHCP or with static addresses in the same 10.*.*.* network as the
Debian box (mind the netmask!) and Debian's 10.*.*.* IP address as
gateway and DNS server.

It might help to show exactly what the network settings are for the
"internal" connection on Debian and on the other boxes.

If it still won't work I can try to replicate your setup later.

> (2) Yes, it has 4 ports.  That's not an issue, because i can and have
> attached switches to it.  However, i cannot attach my ancient hardware to
> it because it locks them up for whatever reason.

Care to elaborate on this? My understanding is that your other boxes
just freeze, though this unusual just from some network incompatibility.

Older Debian versions had some issues (DNS?) with crappy routers. As far
as I recall turning IPv6 off helped.

> (3) Regarding getting another router to sit between the internet-modem and
> my ancient hardware: i wouldn't mind doing that at all, in fact, that's
> what i'm trying to do with my debian box :), to get it to act as a router.
> But i have tons of visibility into my debian system, including compiling
> special purpose software if necessary, but if i just get a dedicated
> black-box router, how could i manage it?

Look for a router supported by OpenWrt. They are typically more
expensive, but could very well be worth the investment in the long run,
especially if it would work also with your older boxes.

For a low power (processing as well as consumption) solution supported
by Debian something like the PINE A64 from Pine64.org with an additional
USB network adapter would be sufficient, though the network speed would
be somewhat limited (the PINE A64+ has a Gigabit adapter, but only
USB2).

For 1Gbit/s you would need something like the ROCK64 (has Gigabit
ethernet and USB3 port). I don't have first hand experience with it, but
it is supported by the bullseye Debian Installer, which is a very good
start. If you are interested in it you should look into the status of
support in Linux mainline (though I expect it to be good enough,
possibly even better than for the PINE A64).

On the other hand these devices could be faster than your old boxes
while using only a fraction of the power. Are you sure those old boxes
are worth keeping around?

Kind regards,
Andrei