Re: apt-key deprecated

On 12/01/2021 06:47, Erwan David wrote:
> Hello,
> to install signal desktop client, I followed their instructions, which
> is to add their repository and, obviously their Kry.
>
> However, I got a warning
> Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d
> instead (see apt-key(8)).
>
> But how to do this ?
>
> man apt-key says :
> Note: Instead of using this command a keyring should be placed
> directly in the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ directory with a descriptive
> name and either "gpg" or "asc" as file extension.
>
> So the question is how can I get a keyring file from the key file I
> downloaded ?

The way I've been adding repos (following some advice on this mailing
list some time ago is basically:

$ wget http://example.com/repo.asc
$ gpg --dearmor repo.asc	# creates repo.asc.gpg
$ mv repo.asc.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/repo.gpg
$ sensible-editor /etc/apt/sources.list.d/repo.list
  deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/repo.gpg] http://example.com/repo stable main

For the record, the advantage of doing this is that the GPG key can only
validate packages coming from that repo; it can't validate any other
repo (whereas keys in apt-key apply to ALL sources, potentially allowing
cross-contamination).