Re: How i do upgrade my operating system to Debian ???buster????

On Mon 11 Jan 2021 at 01:34:41 (-0600), William Torrez Corea wrote:
> cat /etc/debian_version
> 10.7

So that looks as if you're running buster at the latest point-release,
with the exception of any packages that are being held back, like
presumably the kernel.

> cat /etc/apt/sources.list

This file looks quite "crafted", as if you have some specific
requirements.

> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.0.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20190706-10:23]/ buster main
>
> #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 10.0.0 _Buster_ - Official amd64 NETINST 20190706-10:23]/ buster main

So it looks as if you installed buster quite early in its release
period, and have been upgrading it to 10.7. That would mean that
you must have been upgrading the kernel-image package already.

> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main
>
> # buster-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main

I'm not sure why you're not considering contrib and non-free packages
at this time whereas you still have these in the stretch lines below.

> # This system was installed using small removable media
> # (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
> # entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
> # For information about how to configure apt package sources,
> # see the sources.list(5) manual.
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib

You already have this line above, as buster. In such a crafted file as
this, I'm surprised you'd want to suddenly consider bullseye sources
on their release day.

> # realtek firmware
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch main non-free
> deb-src  http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch main non-free

Are you running some specific firmware packages from the old release?
Could this be a reason for not routinely performing apt-get's
dist-upgrade to upgrade the kernel?

> #deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free
> #deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free

I don't know whether these lines have ever been activated since you
originally installed 10.0. I have no idea of the consequences that
activating them would have, and whether apt might install packages
that prevent others from being able to upgrade.

Summing up, it looks as though you've probably been keeping the system
up to date with   apt-get update   and   apt-get upgrade. I'd be
interested to see what   apt-get dist-upgrade   would give you as its
intentions. (And answer no if they are unsatifactory.)

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 5:58 PM Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> > William Torrez Corea wrote:
> > > My version actually is Debian 4.19.146-1 (2020-09-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux.
> >
> > Well, that's a Buster or buster-backports kernel. What does
> > /etc/debian-version say?

Backports kernels should have "bpo" in their version, so it's not that.

Cheers,
David.