Re: mdadm usage

On Sb, 02 ian 21, 10:05:11, deloptes wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > The speed gain of SSD vs. spinning discs for the OS is hard to describe.
> > Think jet aircraft vs. car.
> >
> > I've done this for a laptop (partially out of necessity, after I dropped
> > it) and it was like buying a new system, even if the processor was
> > already significantly outdated at the time (one of the first non-Itanium
> > Intel 64 bit processors).
>
> Yes, but as mentioned the LSI I use in the server are SATA2 so it will stick
> to bandwidth throughput of 300MB/s - does it make sense to replace the good
> WD RED spinning disks with SSD?

Yes.

As far as I recall the laptop I mentioned above had SATA I only
(definitely at least one SATA generation below the capability of the
SSD) and the usability increase was huge.

When discussing "OS speed" the important difference between SSDs and
HDDs is the random read speed, which is orders of magnitude higher.

Just compare for yourself the random read speed of your drives with the
theoretical speed of SATA II. Now look at the random read speeds of some
consumer SATA drives.

Even if the RAID1 helps with random read speeds, a single SSD will run
circles around it. Over SATA II.

Sequential read / write speed matters only when copying large[1] files
around. With smaller file sizes spinning drives waste a lot of time
seeking. Add file fragmentation on top.

[1] for the purposes of this discussion let's consider "large" files to
be files bigger than what your drives can transfer per second in real
life, including the seek times. I'm hoping other readers will correct me
if my assumption is way of.

Kind regards,
Andrei