Re: mdadm usage

On Vi, 01 ian 21, 23:09:01, deloptes wrote:

> Each LSI card has a 6 bay cage attached and I have raided 6x2TB WD RED
> spinning discs (for data) and 2x1TB WD RED spinning discs (for OS)

1TB for OS (assuming RAID1) seems... excessive to me. All my current
installations are in 10 GiB partitions with only a separate /home.

Even if I'd go "wild" with several desktops installed (I'm only using
LXDE), LibreOffice, etc. I'd probably get away with 50 GiB or so. Check
the output of:

    du -hx --max-depth=1 /

> I somehow can not convince myself that I need to replace any of these with
> SSDs.
> I don't want the cheapest but also not unnecessary expensive drives, I just
> find it hard to evaluate which drives are reliable.

The reliability matters much less with RAID1. By the way, the "I" in
RAID stands for "inexpensive" ;)

If in doubt buy from two different manufacturers with similar specs.
RAID devices should whenever possible be from different batches anyway.

> I saw there are 1TB WD RED SSDs targeting NAS for about €120,-
>  WESTERN DIGITAL WD RED SA500 NAS 1TB SATA (WDS100T1R0A)

The speed gain of SSD vs. spinning discs for the OS is hard to describe.
Think jet aircraft vs. car.

I've done this for a laptop (partially out of necessity, after I dropped
it) and it was like buying a new system, even if the processor was
already significantly outdated at the time (one of the first non-Itanium
Intel 64 bit processors).

Kind regards,
Andrei