Re: recommendations for supported, affordable hardware raid controller.

On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 01:06:47PM -0500, Steven Mainor wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for a 6 or 8 port SATA hardware raid controller that will hopefully be supported by the kernel and/or open source drivers to put in my desktop computer. Any input welcome, thanks.

Revenue generating system? Areca with a BBU. I wouldn't spend that much myself on a home system, and I also don't have a home system large enough that there'd be a noticeable performance difference even after spending the money. Where something like that is helpful is if you have a large number of disks in a RAID6--the nvram cache keeps the write performance from being terrible. There are ways to do that now with linux software RAID, but the additional complication and less common configuration makes the easy hardware solution very attractive. If you're doing RAID1 or you don't highly value small block write performance then the md software solution will do just as well. Depending on your requirements you might also consider lvm mirrors; the nice thing about those especially in a home environment is that you can selectively mirror critical data and stripe stuff you don't care if you lose and relatively easily reallocate storage between different strategies on the fly.