Re: Webcam resolution in VLC (and elsewhere)

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 12:41:38 -0500
Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 01, 2021 at 09:50:00AM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> >On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 11:13:54 -0500
> >Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

> >> The optical quality on most small web cams is so bad that increasing the
> >> resolution just means significantly more bandwidth is used to produce a
> >> picture that's visually indistinguishable from the lower resolution
> >> version. Most video chat applications will downsample a high res image
> >> anyway, so generating a high res stream is just making more work. There
> >> are cameras and applications where the increased resolution matter, but
> >> they're the exception IME.
> >
> >Very interesting, thanks. Zoom does offer standard HD and even FHD in
> >some cases:
>
> "Note: Due to recent events with COVID-19, meetings in 720p-quality
> video are only available to Pro account users or higher, and only for
> meetings with a maximum of 2 participants; 1080p quality is for
> special-use cases currently."

Yes - that's what it says on the page that I linked to. And I have a
Pro account at work, and I often have extended one-on-one meetings with
a total of exactly two participants ;)

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115002595343-Video-enhancements#h_01EEEKVD06W1QDZ5GXCS2B9KYN

Celejar