Re: i386 debian to 64bit intel

Darac wrote:
>On 04/12/2020 11:25, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> We finally have a cross-grading option in Debian that takes away a lot
>> of the pain:
>>
>>   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/debian-crossgrader
>>
>> but it's definitely not something I'd recommend for a novice yet...
>
>Wow that's a really nice tool. I am somewhat boggling, though, at the
>idea in the Instructions[1] of crossgrading from arm64 to amd64. What
>manner of machine can interpret both of those instruction sets?!

None, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. The very installation I'm
typing this on has been cross-graded by hand twice over the years,
going i386->amd64->arm64. It's moved hardware multiple times since I
first set it up back in 1996, and switching architeectures is just
another step! :-)

I'm a highly experienced Debian developer and it still took me a few
false starts and I had to step back and fix mistakes when doing the
crossgrade. But I still found it a useful thing to do, and now I'm
running an arm64 machine at home as my NFS server/firewall/router.

But nonetheless we expect most people to be using the crossgrade tool
to just upgrade older i386 installations to use amd64 now...

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane