Re: Installation instructions.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 03:39, <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> > David, the current procedure is simple enough.  Have you or anyone you
> > trust run the procedure with the specific three (iso, vmlinuz,
> > initrd.gz) files you cited?
>
> Yes ...

Looking now, I can confirm that I did a Debian installation here on 20
Oct 2020 using these files. There is no doubt because they are still
on the hard drive.

I give their md5sums below so you can check we are using the same
files.

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 09:27, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:

> The starting point is that you have chosen
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-10.6.0-i386-netinst.iso
> (current, stable, i386)

$ md5sum *iso
f327723426dc90a4daaf1609595d8306  debian-10.6.0-i386-netinst.iso

> Per the "paragraph 3" I mentioned previously and quoted at the top
> of this message, the required vmlinuz and initrd.gz for (current, stable, i386)
> can be downloaded from:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/

$ md5sum *
d3f41e1b683fa87cca189f8595b80a7c  initrd.gz
b30966bc534a606bb8dafab40e106ca9  vmlinuz

What next?
I suggest to check the installer log just after the search fails.

The method of doing that is here:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.en.html#di-miscellaneous

I think the logs are usually scrolling into virtual console 4, or you
could start a shell on virtual console 2 and look for them. in the
/var/log directory.

See if you can find any error messages from the 'iso-scan' process in
the file /var/log/syslog.

The installer main menu offers a method of saving the log files if
you want to paste anything you find here.