Re: mdadm usage

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 03:06:34PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 05:42:35PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > It's a cheap model (relatively), and lack all those fancy BBU features,
> > but it works for my employer:
> >
> > # smartctl -a /dev/sdj
> > Vendor:               SAMSUNG
> > Product:              MZILT1T9HAJQ/007
>
> Datasheet says:
>
> * Enhanced Power-Loss Data Protection with Tantal capacitors

It does not have a battery = it does not have a BBU.
Samsung can dance around that fact all they want, but it won't change.

The lack of BBU does not bother me though (there are backups for
worst-case scenarios), and that server is on UPS anyway. Possible
firmware bugs (these things are new, this unit was produced about a year
ago), and, of course, the scourge of modern Enterprise SSDs -
temperature loss - these I'm wary of.

Reco