Re: mdadm usage

On 2020-12-30 at 08:38, Andy Smith wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 03:32:07PM +0000, mick crane wrote:
>
>> On 2020-12-29 13:10, Andy Smith wrote:
>>
>>> The default metadata format (v1.2) for mdadm is at the beginning
>>> of the device. If you've put a filesystem directly on the md
>>> device then the presence of the metadata will prevent it being
>>> recognised as a simple filesystem. What you can do is force mdadm
>>> to import it as a degraded RAID-1.

>> I've puzzled about this. Are you supposed to have 3 disks ? One for
>> the OS and the other 2 for the raid1 ?
>
> It's unclear to me how what you have quoted relates to your
> subsequent question. Can you elaborate on what the location of mdadm
> metadata has to do with whether one puts the operating system on a
> RAID-1 device or not?

I initially parsed this question as asking whether the metadata is
supposed to be stored on something other than the disk(s) involved in
the RAID-1.

Reading it again, it might be a reaction to the final sentence about
"force mdadm to import it"; in order to be able to do that, you need to
have the system booted to a running OS, and in order for that to happen
the OS can't be on the RAID that you're trying to import. Which would
then require at least three disks, two for the RAID-1 (of which you're
only using one, when importing) and one for the OS of the system you're
running when performing the import.

--
   The Wanderer