Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On Du, 27 dec 20, 07:08:28, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2020-12-27 at 02:31, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
> > On Sb, 26 dec 20, 17:19:32, The Wanderer wrote:
> >
> >> With the new GPU in place, I get video output during POST and in
> >> the BIOS (yes, this machine is old enough that it doesn't have a
> >> UEFI) without problems. That demonstrates that the GPU isn't dead
> >> on arrival, and that signal is getting through to the monitor on a
> >> basic level.
> >
> > At this apoint you might want to query your monitor for the
> > resolution used, might be helpful in case you want to configure grub
> > with a known working resolution (as per other suggestions).
>
> I know my monitor resolution; it's 2560x1600, and supports many
> exact-subset lower resolutions.

We know for sure that the card works properly in the specific video mode
it is in *during POST* (not latter).

This is very unlikely to be the native resolution of your monitor (the
BIOS doesn't support that), it's more likely something like 640x480.

Your monitor should be able to tell you that (poke its menu / settings).

> > Maybe changing some BIOS setting could help.
>
> I already checked, and didn't see any settings that seemed relevant.
> IIRC I did change an unrelated setting which I noticed along the way.
> This behavior didn't change afterward.

BIOS options are sometimes quite cryptic. You might want to (re-)read
the user manual for your motherboard.

Basically anything that is PCIe related could be relevant, in addition
to the obvious settings for anything graphics related.

Kind regards,
Andrei