Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On Sb, 26 dec 20, 17:19:32, The Wanderer wrote:

> With the new GPU in place, I get video output during POST and in the
> BIOS (yes, this machine is old enough that it doesn't have a UEFI)
> without problems. That demonstrates that the GPU isn't dead on arrival,
> and that signal is getting through to the monitor on a basic level.

At this apoint you might want to query your monitor for the resolution
used, might be helpful in case you want to configure grub with a known
working resolution (as per other suggestions).

> However, as soon as the machine tries to hand over control to the
> bootloader, I get a hard freeze; the screen goes black (albeit I think
> still with backlight), the keyboard light toggle keys stop responding,
> and the GRUB menu never appears. Waiting a long time doesn't change
> anything; even after roughly half an hour of waiting, pressing the Power
> button once (no press-and-hold) shuts the system off immediately, which
> indicates that the system hasn't progressed much (if at all) past early
> boot.

Maybe changing some BIOS setting could help.

The suggestion to try a live image is also good.

As far as I know the Debian Installer is using very basic VGA graphics,
for maximum compatibility, so result might be different than a full live
system.

Kind regards,
Andrei