Re: No GRUB with brand-new GPU

On 2020-12-26 at 17:33, Georgi Naplatanov wrote:

> On 12/27/20 12:19 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I have for some years been running Debian with an older model of AMD GPU
>> (Radeon HD 6870) for graphics.
>>
>> I recently purchased a relatively recent model of GPU (Radeon RX 5700
>> XT), and today swapped it in and attempted to boot with it.

>> With the new GPU in place, I get video output during POST and in the
>> BIOS (yes, this machine is old enough that it doesn't have a UEFI)
>> without problems. That demonstrates that the GPU isn't dead on arrival,
>> and that signal is getting through to the monitor on a basic level.
>>
>> However, as soon as the machine tries to hand over control to the
>> bootloader, I get a hard freeze; the screen goes black (albeit I think
>> still with backlight), the keyboard light toggle keys stop responding,
>> and the GRUB menu never appears. Waiting a long time doesn't change
>> anything; even after roughly half an hour of waiting, pressing the Power
>> button once (no press-and-hold) shuts the system off immediately, which
>> indicates that the system hasn't progressed much (if at all) past early
>> boot.

> Hi,
>
> I'm not a hardware expert but I found the following on Internet:
>
>  - the interface for this card is PCI-Express 4.0 and I guess that your
> old computer doesn't support that
>
>  - BIOS Support - Dual UEFI - I'm not sure what this means but is it
> possible this card not to be supported by non-UEFI systems ?

I'd consider these plausible enough to pursue, except for the fact that
(as noted above) I do get display output just fine during POST and in
the BIOS. If the slot interface weren't compatible, I'd expect to not
get any video output from the system at all.

"Dual UEFI" I don't remember seeing in regard to this device; I'm not
sure what it'd mean for a GPU. It's normally something I expect to see
for a motherboard, where it would mean that the device supports having
two different UEFIs in place at once, so you can flash a new one and
still have the old one to fall back to if the new one fails.

--
   The Wanderer