Re: Re: ALSA bug? Laptop headphone output depending on speaker channel setting

Joel Roth wrote:
> Do you have pulseaudio running on your system?
>
> It is a layer above ALSA, and could be related to your
> issue.

I do have PulseAudio typically running, but when I run
pasuspender alsamixer
the behaviour appears the same as before. I can also run
pasuspender aplay -D hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 wavfile.wav
(have to specify the output device because pulse remains the default,
otherwise) and find no change. Even if I go as far as using systemctl --user
stop on pulseaudio.socket and pulseaudio.service, the problem persists:
headphones won't sound unless the speaker channel is not muted and has volume,
even though no sound will actually be produced by the laptop's speakers while
the headphones are connected.

So I believe the problem is below PulseAudio.

Thanks,
Brendon