Re: QEMU-KVM VMs sometime freeze when I run them for a couple of days

From: Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>

Hi Dan, Thank you for answering ;-)

> First question: when they are just a few minutes old, does the
> serial console work?

Yes, 100%. I always configure serial console for all VMs both on QEMU (libvirt) and OS side.

> Second question: when the VMs are a few minutes old, does virsh
> shutdown work?

Yes, 100%. In most cases everything works just fine. Until I keep those VMs
running for days... And even then some virtualization hosts are just fine
and one or two has those frozen VMs.

> You probably want to change that to 1 minute or so.

Good point.

> Are the VMs set up to match the local hardware definition or be
> fully emulated?

Matching HW, all virtio, CPU pass-through for everything (=> maximum performance).

> And, especially: if they are not using virtio for disk and
> network address, try that ASAP.

They do.

==================
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'/>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' discard='unmap'/>
      <source dev='/dev/..../>
      <target dev='sdX' bus='scsi'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='scsi' index='0' model='virtio-scsi'/>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='...'/>
      <source bridge='...'/>
      <vlan>