Re: transfer speed data

On Mi, 23 dec 20, 19:27:49, David Wright wrote:

> I thought Michael Stone had already covered that, by suggesting sparse
> files (with which I'm not familiar) and /dev/null for conducting his
> encryption tests. I don't think any other posts had covered what's
> *between* the PCs, rather than in them.
>
> Common sense would dictate against using SD cards etc for testing
> network speeds (unless, say, you were using such files), because you
> obviously want to reduce to a minimum the number of points of weakness
> (ie slowness), testing the speed of just one link in the chain at a time.

I was rather referring to real use ;)

Speed tests under optimized conditions do have their purpose (e.g. is my
network interface working properly?[1]), but they might be misleading
when the bottleneck for real world transfers is elsewhere (like the
limited storage options on the PINE A64+).

[1] Especially for the PINE A64+, which did have some troubles with the
network interface due to a hardware bug. Fortunately the issue was
identified and corrected in later batches.

Kind regards,
Andrei