Re: transfer speed data

On Mi, 23 dec 20, 10:56:36, Nicolas George wrote:
> Andy Smith (12020-12-23):
> > "gigabyte" is not a network speed. You probably mean gigabit
>
> No, gigabit is 10³ bits, there is no "per second" involved either.
>
> Anyway, why would anybody honest want to use this kind of unit to
> measure an actual speed is beyond me. The only point to speak in
> kilo/mega/gigabits per second instead is to make the numbers seem larger
> to attract clueless customers. Moreover, the ratio between these numbers
> and the actual useful network speed is not eight at one might believe,
> because they measure below the low-level network protocols.

I took that to mean the theoretical maximum.

For a quick estimation of "good" transfer rates a ten to one ratio is
probably sufficient, e.g.:

    1 Gbit/s = 1000 Mbit/s ~ 100 M(ilion) bytes (octets) per second

    (which is approximately 95,367432 MiB/s according to 'qalc')

If one reaches that in real world transfers (as opposed to specialized
tests) any further significant improvements will likely require hardware
upgrades.

Kind regards,
Andrei