Re: Tiling display support

On 20/12/2020 00:42, Dan Ritter wrote:
George Shuklin wrote:
On 12/18/20 9:55 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
George Shuklin wrote:
I continue to choose hardware carefully, and the next issue (I found a lot
on it) is support for tiling displays. They uses multiple streams inside
DisplayPort to achieve high resolution with high frame rate. It's called MST
(vs classic single SST), and I found few people complaining about issues
with it. All those complains are relatively old (2+ years).

Does someone run desktop with 4k screen and high frame rate (150 fps+)? What
monitor and gpu are you using? Are you having any issues?
There are no 4K 150Hz monitors currently commercially available.

There are some 4K 120Hz monitors, starting at $800 or so.

What is your use case?

-dsr-
Oh, thanks, I've reread specs. It says 'refresh rate up to 240Hz', but for
full resolution it's 5120 x 1440 | 60 Hz. There is LG, which promises 3840 x
2160 144Hz. I'll be more careful.

Anyway, my concern is MST support in Linux. Or, can 4k 120Hz fit through a
single DP (SST mode)?

The Radeon 6900XT has DisplayPort 1.4.

The NVidia 2080GTX has DisplayPort 1.4.

DP 1.4 supports 4K at 120Hz.

DP 2.0 has not yet shown up.

What are you trying to do?

I had made a mistake assuming the monitor I'd chosen supported 4k at 240Hz (it was announced as 4k and 240Hz). After answers from the maillist I've rechecked specs and found it's only 60Hz at full res, and 240Hz is there for lower resolutions. So, that thing is dead. There is no 4k @ 240Hz.

The next issue is notice from Nvidia site about my video cart saying that it supports tiling displays only through direct double DP link (two cables with no hub of multiplexers). I start to read about tiling support in Linux and found tons of pain (which was slightly eased with newer posts about --monitor abstraction in xrandr). Instead of absorbing all that pain I've asked here if someone is using tiled display under Debian.