Re: exporting display like

Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> writes:

> mick crane (12020-12-17):
>> please bear in mind I don't know what I'm doing.
>> It is convenient to have the one display and keyboard/mouse
>> I sometimes if on windows use putty/Xming to start GUI program on other
>> Debian PC.
>> Think I used screen before so can attach/detach from running terminal
>> program but with X display program is it possible to first export to other
>> machine then detach and come back to it later on other machine ?
>> There was VNC, is that the way to do that ?
>
> xpra is probably the program you are looking for.

Does xpra work for reattaching? I've tried it briefly but I don't really
understand how you're supposed to use it. The docs and examples cover
only very basic usage. For me the expected usage would be like this:

1. start program x at machine y from machine z and at some point detach.
2. reattach to program x still running at machine y from machine w. This
should be independent of hardware and software differences between
machines z and w. Some tolerance for different versions of xpra would be
good too.

I've used x2go for years but reattaching works rarely. With VNC it works
always but I wanted something better due to some protocol limitation.

I don't really need the reattaching that much currently which is why
I've stuck with x2go at home for my headless machines.