python3.9 venv testing error message

  as it is testing perhaps there is a temporary glitch in
the packages for python3.9, but it has been there for at
least a week if not longer.  oh, i do have python-is-python3
and there are no python2 programs anywhere on this system
that i know of.

  when i run the command:

=====
$ python -m venv env

  setting up virtual environment /home/me/src/salsa/env
The virtual environment was not created successfully because ensurepip is not
available.  On Debian/Ubuntu systems, you need to install the python3-venv
package using the following command.

    apt-get install python3-venv

You may need to use sudo with that command.  After installing the python3-venv
package, recreate your virtual environment.

Failing command: ['/home/me/src/salsa/env/bin/python', '-Im', 'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']

=====

  the package mentioned is installed:

=====

$ dpkg -l | grep python3-venv
ii  python3-venv                         3.9.0-4                        amd64        pyvenv-3 binary for python3 (default python3 version)

=====

  any ideas?  :)  thanks!

  songbird