Re: Debian 10 64bit

On 12/15/2020 1:45 AM, Jerry Mellon wrote:
I finally got around to installing debian 10 on my 64bit system(thus
removing the i386version I had originally instaled). The install went
well and I asked for a seperate Home particion. When I booted the system
and try to do "apt-get update and apt-get upgrade" using "sudo" it would
not let me do that. Said I was not a sudo user. I then tried "su root"
which failed as well as it said I was not a sudo user. I went to the
sudouse file and changed it to make me a user. Sudo as myself worked
fine but su root still did not work.

After seeing the email concering problems with sudo and su root I
decided to reload. I did but did a use whole disk (no home part).
After booting I did have to go to the sudouser file an change it again
but the su root worked with out a problem.

Only saying all of this because of the email chatter on sudo and su
root.

The 'su' utility has nothing to do with the 'sudo' utility and they are
controled separately.

The 'su do ('sudo')' utility is controled by the file '/etc/sudoers' or
by any file placed in the directory '/etc/sudoers.d'.
So to grand full access to a specific user in the sudoers file you would
have something like:

'<USER> ALL=(ALL) ALL'

Where <USER> is to be substituted by the desired user.

The 'substitute user ('su')' utility is used in conbination with 'pam'
and is controled by the file '/etc/pam.d/su'.
Unless you know what you are doing, it is strongly suggested to use the
'--login' option to get a logging shell like so:

'su --login'

--
John Doe