Re: Debian 10 Buster - difficulty setting up mariaDB 10.3.27 users for use with Debian mediawiki 1.31 package

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 4:22 AM Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:01:15 +0100
> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> You don't even need the CREATE USER.

> You can GRANT xxxxxxxx TO 'fred'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'yyyyyyy'
> which will create user and privileges at the same time.

> Remember that modern versions of MySQL/MariaDB will not allow logging
> in as root unless you are already logged in to the terminal as operating
> system root. This means that phpmyadmin, if you use it, cannot login to
> the database root account, and you need a differently-named account with
> all privileges, including GRANT.

Joe,

Thanks for the GRANT hint and the reminder to configure users in a
terminal as root.
No phpmyadmin in use here, I'm using the terminal for everything, same
as in my $realjob.

Appreciate the reply, I'll try this new info from you and Deloptes and
see how it goes.

Keith