Re: Debian 10 Buster - difficulty setting up mariaDB 10.3.27 users for use with Debian mediawiki 1.31 package

Keith Christian wrote:

> Next, I logged in with this:
> mysql -u root -p
>
> But as I remembered, (it's been awhile) one cannot create any users in
> this mode due to --skip-grant-tables.

When installed in Debian it does not have password (AFAIR). It is sufficient
to execute "mysql -u root -p" and press ENTER to log in. You then change
the password.

Regarding --skip-grant-tables I used this just last week to reset a root
password for a customer.
It seems there are two different methods depending on what version you use.

> but I can't log in with either user after restarting MariaDB with:
> sudo systemctl start mariadb

Could be that you have something on the network side? From which host do you
log in?

> Seems I must always log in with
> mysql -u root -p

This is working only on localhost

> There are lots of web pages mentioning this problem but none are
> complete enough and my attempts have failed.
>
> SO.....Looking for a "bulletproof" document to set up MariaDB users so
> I can get on with configuring Mediawiki.

Just try
        mysql -u root -p -h localhost

> I don't want to login as a 'root'@'localhost' user for routine DB work
> and would rather use the 'mediawiki'@localhost' user for that.
So
        mysql -u mediawiki -p -h localhost
is not working as well?

I use following and never had issue with that

CREATE USER 'mediawiki'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'xxxxxxxxxxx';
GRANT Select ,Insert ,Update ,Delete ,Create ,Drop , Index ,Alter  ON
mediawiki.* TO 'mediawiki'@'localhost';
flush privileges;

Remember the client can access only on local host.