Re: AMD GPU Sea Islands Problem

Guyenne Tsui composed on 2020-12-06 22:17 (UTC):

>> What is "form rendering"?

> Sorry I meant "form of rendering"

>> Which Sea Islands do you have?

> Radeon R5 M430. I checked it again and it seems to be Southern Islands.
> I am not sure.

>> Which Debian are you using?

> Debian Testing

>> Which DDX driver are you using?

> I am not sure what is DDX driver. I installed firmware-amd-graphics in
> past and it worked automatically. However, a recent update broke it.

DDX means Device Dependent X.

I wasn't aware that amdgpu would ever work automatically with sea islands.
Normally it needs radeon.si_support=0 and amdgpu.si_support=1 to use it.

>> Do you have in your grub stanzas radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 ???

> I tried both `radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=0` and
> `radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1`. It seems that the latter
> works from the looks of `lspci -k`.

Try purging xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu and xserver-xorg-video-ati, then restarting
X. That should automatically result in using the modesetting X driver. It does for
my sea islands. If it's OK, either keep it that way, or try reinstalling only
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools, like religion,
	is based on faith, not on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/