Re: Help with install on old Mac

On 12/5/20 1:47 AM, didier gaumet wrote:
Hello

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with Apple (old or new) hardware

There is the Debian Jessie installation manual for the powerpc architecture:
  https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/powerpc/index.html.en

the 3.6.1 section could explain why you have difficulties to boot from your hard disk:
  https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/powerpc/ch03s06.html.en#invoking-openfirmware
but the link indicated to upgrade is broken

http://gnats.netbsd.org/43952 provides an updated link:
  wget http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_X/System_Disk_Utility.smi.bin

On a side note, NetBSD, FreeBSD and OpenBSD all seem to have present version of their OS for the mac powerpc architecture:, NetBSD probably being the most advanced and supported (FreeBSD: WIP):
  http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/

keep us informed if you have succeeded :-)

Hello Didier,

Thanks for the links.  I too had noticed some of the Debian links were broken.

I did try a different, smaller, USB stick for the firmware, but it did not help.  Plus some of the info from other pages suggested at least one partition name might be wrong.  So I decided to follow your suggestion to look into the BSD systems.

I chose NetBSD and have successfully installed it.  But again, getting the system to boot into it is proving a challenge.

Since I'm now using NetBSD, I'll be taking this conversation over to their lists.

But I may ultimately retry getting Linux up on the machine.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks again,

Bob