Loadbearing services

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 09:46:07AM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 05:00:44PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > If something is free, you aren't the customer, you are the product.
>
> All generalizations suck.

This reminds me of an article from ESR.
He pointed out that there are essential pieces we use everyday
without any afterthought or payment. There are people who maintain
software or services for free on their own time we could not
live without. NTP comes to mind. I thing gnupg is basically maintained
by one person.

But in general I agree with the statement: "if you are not paying,
you are the product".

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com